Piano Forum

Does Rachmaninoff Touch Your Heart?
Today, with smartwatches and everyday electronics, it is increasingly common to measure training results, heart rate, calorie consumption, and overall health. But monitoring heart rate of pianists and audience can reveal interesting insights on several other aspects within the musical field. Read more >>

Topic: Is this plan feasible?  (Read 685 times)

Offline henk de potvis

• PS Silver Member
Is this plan feasible?
on: June 19, 2023, 05:24:29 PM
My (advanced) repertoire is the third movement of the moonlight sonata, and fantasie impromptu. I finished Fantasie impromptu in a month after not playing for a while. I would like to play la campanella, but first do Rachmaninoff prelude in G-minor. Is this possible? I did not have help for Fantasie impromptu, because my teacher was sick, but I will have help when i would be doing la campanella. The plan is to finish Rachmaninoff in the summer vacation (6 weeks), and after that have the whole year for la campanella, if necessary. I have done some jumps in the past, for example: turkish march -> moonlight sonata 1 -> 2 -> 3.

Offline anacrusis

• PS Silver Member
Re: Is this plan feasible?
Reply #1 on: June 21, 2023, 12:43:28 PM
I mean, you can attempt it, but La Campanella is significant step up in difficulty, and some of the difficulties will seem insurmountable and strainful unless you know what you need to do to master the piece. As a general rule, I would not advice learning pieces that you need to spend a year on. If you instead study pieces you can master in a month, you'll learn twelve pieces in a year that all will help grow your skills in a variety of ways, establishing a much better foundation for tackling more difficult pieces. In that sense, the Fantasie Impromptu and Rach prelude sounds to be just about right for you right now! Study some more pieces that are around that difficulty or slightly harder and you'll reap way more rewards. Nothing is stopping you from dabbling with La Campanella on the side of that and seeing what you can do, however. But if you can't make significant headway with it in a month, I would advice you to drop it, study other things, and come back to it later.

Online lelle

• PS Gold Member
Re: Is this plan feasible?
Reply #2 on: June 23, 2023, 11:37:12 PM
Anything's possible, but you know your capabilities better than we. You can try la campanella and see if you get anywhere. If you don't, you can drop it.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert